One of our favorite things to learn about in the spring is butterflies. We love to visit the butterfly garden at the zoo, raise our own butterflies, and do a lot of butterfly themed learning activities like this Butterfly Alphabet Match Sensory Bin. This fun sensory play activity will help children practice identifying and matching capital and lowercase letters.
Butterfly Alphabet Match Sensory Bin:
- Butterfly Alphabet Matching Cards
- White Card Stock or Paper
- Thermal Laminator
- Laminating Pouches or Self-Adhesive Laminating Sheets
- Sensory Bin or Plastic Container
- Sensory Bin Filler
- Butterfly Figurines
- First, print the Butterfly Alphabet Matching Cards onto white card stock or paper.
- You may want to laminate the cards for extra durability (optional) and then cut them apart.
- Next, fill the sensory bin or plastic container with a sensory bin filler such as beans, rice, or shredded paper. We used green grass.
- Then, mix the Butterfly Alphabet Matching Cards up and add them to the sensory bin. I would recommend only adding five letters at a time.
- Add the butterfly figurines to the sensory bin too. We love these ones made by Toob. If you don’t have action figures, you can use butterfly erasers or foam stickers.
This sensory bin is an inexpensive activity to set-up. I bought all of the items at the Dollar Store, except for the butterfly action figures I ordered from Amazon.
How To Play:
Children will sort through the sensory bin and match the capital and lowercase letter cards. They can check to make sure they have the correct letters by making sure the picture is of the butterfly matches too.
Letter matching activities are an excellent way for preschoolers to explore the alphabet and reinforce what they are learning.
While playing with this butterfly alphabet match sensory bin, children will have fun as they practice matching capital and lowercase letters through sensory play.
Latest posts by Karen (see all)
- How to Make a Paper Plate Apple Lacing Activity for Preschoolers - September 11, 2017
- Color Sorting Preschool Apple Activity - August 21, 2017
- Countdown to Preschool Back to School Craft - July 3, 2017