I always love to incorporate the holidays into our learning activities. Since Valentine’s Day is just a few weeks away, I knew my children would have fun sorting red, pink, and purple hearts using this Colorful Hearts Sensory Bin. In this hands-on sensory activity, your children will not only practice identifying and matching colors but will also work on developing their fine motor skills too.
Colorful Hearts Sensory Bin for Valentine’s Day:
- Sensory Bin
- Sensory Bin Filler
- Pink, Purple, and Red Craft Foam
- Mini Heart Erasers
- Kid-friendly Tweezers or Tongs
- Cut a heart out of the pink, purple, and red craft foam. Instead of craft foam, you could also use construction paper, cupcake liners, or any type of sorting cup or mat.
- Fill the sensory bin or plastic container with sensory bin filler such as shredded paper, tissue paper, or colored rice.
- Add the mini heart erasers to the sensory bin. If you don’t have heart erasers, you can also use heart-shaped stickers, conversation hearts candy, or even cut hearts out of craft foam or construction paper.
This sensory bin is an inexpensive activity to set-up. I bought all of the items at the Dollar Store, except I ordered the mini erasers from Amazon.
- Children will sort through the sensory bin and use the kid-friendly tweezers to pick up the mini heart erasers.
- Children will divide the erasers by color and place them on the matching color craft foam hearts.
Extend The Learning:
After sorting the red, pink, and purple hearts, children can also…
- Use the mini heart erasers to create patterns.
- Count the number of pink, purple, and red erasers and ask your children which color has the most and which one has the least.
- Stack the erasers and create a tower. Count the number of erasers in the tower.
While playing with this Colorful Hearts Sensory Bin, children will explore, learn, and have so much fun! Playing with themed sensory bins is always an entertaining way for kids to discover new things through their senses.
Latest posts by Karen (see all)
- How to Make Puffy Paint Pumpkins for a Fall Art Activity - October 11, 2017
- How to Make a Paper Plate Apple Lacing Activity for Preschoolers - September 11, 2017
- Color Sorting Preschool Apple Activity - August 21, 2017