It’s no secret that I adore ice cube molds! Some of the greatest activities with children come from the simplest items, and this is no exception. Ice cube trays and molds as well as silicon molds are very versatile, and they make for amazing play activities. There is a super affordable selection from IKEA, and the Dollar Store has seasonal ones that we use on a regular basis too. We have a growing collection at our house, and I honestly feel that one can never have too many.
So now I present to you 19 incredible ways to use an ice cube tray while getting the kids involved:
1. We made these super durable and glittery rainbow fish. These are a hot commodity, so definitely don’t skimp on quantity!
2. Fun at Home with Kids made some beautiful heart-shaped chalk out of a silicon mold. I can see hours of artful creativity with these!
3. Montessori Mischief created some vibrant soap. It is so perfect for little hands.
4. Crayon Box Chronicles came up with these incredible insect sensory paints. I can’t get over how cool they look!
5. Fun-A-Day experimented with these super cool fizzy letters. I love combining literacy and science, and I really hope I run across these at a yard sale!
6. Nurture Store created this gorgeous ice palace. Ice and glitter equals gorgeous.
7. Happy Hooligans built these incredible ice sculptures. What isn’t there to love? I think I could stare at that for hours.
8. Reading Confetti made this fun star shaped ice chalk. It sounds like the perfect hot day activity.
9. Inspiration Laboratories created these beautiful hearts for ice painting. Painting with ice is always a win here.
10. Kiddie Foodies made this incredibly scrumptious raspberry castle. This must be the ultimate frozen yogurt recipe!
11. One Perfect Day came up with a way to make crayons, and you don’t even need to put them in the oven! I wish I had seen this ages ago.
12. Life Lesson Plans filled their sensory bin with these fun rainbow colored ice castle pieces. Building with ice unit blocks is brilliant in my book.
13. Paging Fun Mums created these amazing bath time fizzies with some essential oils. This takes a soothing bath to the next level.
14. Sun Hats & Wellie Boots concocted some beautiful glitter soap. How perfect would this be for the child who hates to wash her hands.
15. Preschool Inspirations experimented with this absolutely fun candy science experiment. I am pretty sure you can’t go wrong with bubbles and children.
16. We made these colored and textured sea stars to bring the beach closer to us. They feel so amazing, and I’ll definitely be adding glitter to the next batch.
17. The Imagination Tree made these beautiful rainbow crayons. I love that the puzzle piece ones really fit together!
18. Fantastic Fun and Learning came up with the seed sorting learning activity. This is such great fine motor practice for kiddos.
19. Crystal and Co. created these brilliant lego cake toppers! What a perfect idea for some homemade birthday cupcakes or a special treat.
As you can see, there are SO many awesome ideas to do with ice cube trays. Writing this post has probably taken my adoration to the official “obsession” level. Let’s just say that there will definitely be a part 2 to this in the future!
For now, feel free to peruse my Ice Cube Tray pinterest board for other great ideas.
- DIY Animal Puzzle - October 31, 2022
- How to use Question of the Day for Circle Time - August 5, 2022
- Why Potty Training is Failing - June 18, 2022
Heather @ Crayon Box Chronicle says
So many fun ideas! Thank you for including our insect painting! Pinned and scheduled to share on FB!
I am so happy to have included your insect painting! It is so genius! Thanks for pinning and sharing, Heather :).
Kim Stuart says
Can you tell me where to find the molds you yse for these science activities? Especially the alphabet molds
It looks like the alphabet one is available on Amazon :). Many other ones are at craft stores or IKEA. Happy ice cube tray shopping, Kim!